After Gary Peterson and Sebastian Saavedra’s AFS Racing Team scrapped their Indy 500 plans, Sebastian Saavedra has turned up in the most curious of places – Red Bull Global Rallycross. The Colombian raced his first Indy 500 in 2010 with Bryan Herta Autosport after graduating from IndyCar Lites, and has four top ten finishes.
Saavedra will make his rallycross debut in GRC’s first race of the 2016 season May 21-22 at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in Phoenix, Arizona. Said Saavedra, “I’m really excited to make my Red Bull GRC debut this weekend in Phoenix. I’ve known a lot of the people in the series for a long time, and I’m really looking forward to adding rallycross to my resume. It’ll be the first time I’ve ever raced anything like this, so it will be a challenge that I’m excited to welcome. Four wheels and high horsepower? Sign me up any day!” He will join the Blue Oval Boys in the #77 BF Goodrich Ford Fiesta.
In other last minute announcements:
- Collete Davis has joined Rhys Millen Racing for her second year competing in GRC Lites.
- Rhys Millen has teased an image of the Veloster being loaded into the trailer, but no word on if he will actually be racing it in Phoenix.
- Tanner Whitten signed with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing along with Cabot Bingham in his Lites debut.
- Miki Weckstrom joins OMSE X Forces to compete in GRC Lites.
- Tanner Foust revealed his 2016 Volkswagen Beetle livery and calendar. He will also race at FIA World Rallycross’s World RX of Great Britain at Lydden Hill May 27-29, 2016.
- Subaru is continuing to commit to a GRC schedule with drivers Bucky Lasek and Sverre Isachsen, while aggressively testing the new Subaru WRX STI GRC Supercar. David Higgins, Subaru Rally Team’s 2015 Rally America champion, will assume the lead test driver role with the Rallycross team.
from The Garage http://thegarageblog.com/garage/indycars-saavedras-new-gig/
from Tumblr http://peternpalmer.tumblr.com/post/144546899231